16 Saltines (18 if using round)
4 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoons milk
1 ½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon pepper
1 shallot, minced
½ tablespoon vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 large eggs
1 pound ground buffalo
1 pound ground pork
½ pound Chorizo
3/4 cup roasted bell peppers (Jarred)
8 slices bacon
3-5 celery ribs
3-5 carrots, peeled
1. Process saltines, mushrooms, milk, Worcestershire, soy sauce, salt, and pepper in food processor until a paste forms. Transfer to a large bowl.
2. Combine shallot, oil, garlic, thyme, and cayenne in a small pot and heat until softened.
3. Combine shallot mixture and eggs into saltine mixture.
4. Add buffalo and pork to saltine mixture one pound at a time until thoroughly combined.
5. In a medium bowl take about ½ pound (about a handful) of the meatloaf mixture and combine with chorizo. Set aside.
6. Place celery and carrots in a single layer on the bottom of the Dutch oven.
7. Form the meatloaf. Using half the meatloaf mixture form the first layer. Layer half of the roasted bell peppers evenly over the bottom layer, leaving a little space around the edge. Form the chorizo mixture and place over the peppers. Layer the remaining peppers evenly over the chorizo. Form and place the remaining meatloaf on top.
8. Wrap meatloaf with a single layer of bacon using toothpicks on the sides if needed. Try not to overlap the slices.
9. Using a wide spatula place the meatloaf on top of the celery and carrots.
10. If your Dutch oven has a slot for a digital thermometer, insert the thermometer’s probe so that it is centered in the meatloaf.
11. Cover and bake until meatloaf registers 145 to 150 degrees, about 35-40 minutes.
12. Check to see if the bacon is crisp. If needed remove all heat from bottom and add to lid. When the temperature registers 160 degree the meatloaf is done. You can continue to bake until bacon is crisp checking every 5 minutes.
13. Transfer to serving dish and tent loosely with foil. Let rest for 15 minutes.
14. Slice and Serve