2 cups of milk
½ teaspoon of vanilla
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 loaf French or Italian bread, sliced
½ pound butter (2 sticks)
2 ½ cups of brown sugar, tightly packed
3 (16 oz) can peaches, drained and quartered
- Preheat oven for 15 minutes using 21 coals on top and 11 briquettes under the oven.
- While oven is warming, beat eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon in a medium-size bowl.
- Place bread slices into egg mixture to soak.
- Move oven away from the bottom coals and remove the lid.
- Melt butter in heated oven. Blend brown sugar into the melted butter.
- Once sugar-butter turns light brown, place drained peaches into the caramel.
- Spread egg soaked bread on top of peaches.
- Return lid to oven and place back over coals.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, refreshing coals if required. Occasionally check bread mixture to ensure that the edges don’t burn.
Serves: 10-12 14” dutch oven for this dish.